Friday, July 5, 2013

Experiencing what the French call "Les Vacances"

"I heard or seemed to hear the chiding Sea
Say, Pilgrim, why so late and slow to come?
Am I not always here, thy summer home?
Is not my voice thy music, morn and eve?
My breath thy healthful climate in the heats,
My touch thy antidote, my bay thy bath?
Was ever building like my terraces?
Was ever couch magnificent as mine?
Lie on the warm rock-ledges, and there learn..."
~ Emerson
Yes. The long anticipated respite has come at last!
My family and I are spending the next two weeks in Kingston Washington--a beautiful, wooded community across the Sound from Seattle. We are here to visit my grandparents, who live in an exquisite home surrounded by forest.  The shore is a pleasant five minute descent down a narrow path through the ferns and berries in the back yard.
The weather forecast is a delicious "Low Seventies" kind of thing, and the sun is out potentially to stay, which is next to miraculous for this area.
After two weeks in this green paradise, the three oldest Brown men--Dad, Truman, and myself-- are leaving the country for a week-long excursion along the Canadian coast. We will be hiking the "West Coast Trail", which is a very strenuous hike riddled with cliffs, ladders, platforms, and rope-bridges.
As long as none of us twist an ankle (or worse), it should be one of the best hikes we've been on. If, we do, I promise not to post pictures ;)
However, my dad has been preparing very thoroughly(for months in fact), and I am confidant we will be alright.

I have heard about the unbearable temperatures up there where the hair is dry, and I feel for you all.
Perhaps the refreshing stories and pictures I share will ease your pain.

Lie on the warm rock ledges with me, and learn...

No comments:

Post a Comment